Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/6] diff-merges: let -m imply -p

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 14:48:19 -0700

Sergey Organov wrote:

> Fix long standing inconsistency between -c/--cc that do imply -p, on
> one side, and -m that did not imply -p, on the other side.
>
> After this patch
>
>   git log -m
>
> will start to produce diffs without need to provide -p as well,

Personally I don't ever use -m without -p and --first-parent, so in
that sense this feels like a change in the right direction.

Does this also affect the plumbing command "git diff-tree"?  I'm
guessing "no" because diff-tree already generates a diff by default,
but it seems worth spelling out in the commit message to prevent
worries about the effect on scripts that expect stable plumbing
behavior.

Thanks,
Jonathan