Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] promisor-remote: read partialClone config here

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 15:41:21 -0700

On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 02:34:16PM -0700, Jonathan Tan wrote:
> 
> Currently, the reading of config related to promisor remotes is done in
> two places: once in setup.c (which sets the global variable
> repository_format_partial_clone, to be read by the code in
> promisor-remote.c), and once in promisor-remote.c. This means that care
> must be taken to ensure that repository_format_partial_clone is set
> before any code in promisor-remote.c accesses it.
> 
> To simplify the code, move all such config reading to promisor-remote.c.
> By doing this, it will be easier to see when
> repository_format_partial_clone is written and, thus, to reason about
> the code. This will be especially helpful in a subsequent commit, which
> modifies this code.

Do we reliably call promisor-remote.c:promisor_remote_config()? It's
called only during promisor_remote_init(), which happens if we call
something like promisor_remote_get_direct(), and I guess we call that
one unconditionally (e.g. there's no "if (partial_clone)
promisor_remote_get_direct();" that I saw in a brief glance) then it's
OK.

> @@ -1061,7 +1061,6 @@ extern int repository_format_worktree_config;
>  struct repository_format {
>  	int version;
>  	int precious_objects;
> -	char *partial_clone; /* value of extensions.partialclone */

I also don't see that this repository_format.partial_clone value gets
checked anywhere anyways - I only see where it's set and freed in a
brief grep - so this seems fine to me.

I saw Taylor's comment about NULL-ness and other than that, this patch
looks good to me.

Reviewed-by: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>