Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] First steps towards partial clone submodules

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 18:44:06 -0700

On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 02:34:15PM -0700, Jonathan Tan wrote:
> 
> This is a preliminary step towards supporting partial clone submodules
> (e.g., by cloning with --recurse-submodules and having the given filter
> propagate to submodules). Even with this patch set, we won't be there
> yet (notably, some code in Git access objects in submodules by adding
> them as alternates - so lazy-fetching missing objects in submodules
> wouldn't work here), but at least this is a first step.
> 
> This patch set would also be useful if Git needed to operate on
> other repositories (other than in the submodule case), but I can't think
> of such a situation right now.
> 
> As mentioned, there is still more work that needs to be done. Any help
> is appreciated, and as for me, I hope to get back to this in the 3rd
> quarter of the year.
> 

I see there's a v2 that came while I was still reviewing, oops. But
overall I like this series:

 - It's small
 - It does reasonable code cleanup which benefits the codebase on its
   own
 - It paves the way for a series later on without being part of that
   series, meaning that the later series will be slightly smaller
   because of it (a lesson I should learn for myself)

Thanks. I'll try and review v2 later in the week.

 - Emily