Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/31] minimal restart of "config-based-hooks"

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 11:14:55 -0700

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 02:11:02PM +0200, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> 
> After suggesting[1] an another round that the config-based-hook
> topic[2] should take a more incremental approach to reach its end goal
> I thought I'd try hacking that up.
> 
> So this is a proposed restart of that topic which if the consensus
> favors it should replace it, and the config-based hooks topic should
> be rebased on top of this.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to achieve by sending this
series. It was my impression that the existing config-based-hooks topic
was close to being ready to submit anyway (since Junio mentioned
submitting it a couple revisions ago); rather than churning by reviewing
a different 31-patch topic, and then re-rolling and re-reviewing a
(reduced) config hook topic, wouldn't it be easier on everyone's time to
do a final incremental review on the existing topic and then start in on
bugfixes/feature patches afterwards?

It would have been nice to see a more clear discussion of patch
organization sometime much sooner in the past year and a half since the
project was proposed[3], like maybe in the few iterations of the design
doc which included a rollout plan in July of last year[4]. To me, it
seems late to be overhauling the direction like this, especially after I
asked for opinions and approval on the direction before I started work
in earnest.

Anyway, I'd personally rather spend effort getting the existing series
the last few yards to the finish line than to head most of the way back
to the start.

 - Emily

> 1. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
> 2. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
3. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
4. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/