Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 1/3] test-lib-functions: introduce test_stdout_line_count

From: Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 10:03:39 +0700

On 2021-07-06 12:24:05-0700, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > A minor think-out-loud: I wonder if there would be value in deriving
> > the name of the output file from the command being run (perhaps by
> > using `tr` to translate oddball characters to underscore or to fold
> > them out). This might or might not help someone debugging a test
> > failure since there would be less chance of "$trashdir/output" being
> > repeatedly clobbered.
> 
> Probably not.
> 
> The iterations of output that are clobbered are all from the passing
> call to test_stdout_count_lines helper we made previously.

Yay, I also think it doesn't add much value. Since we're chaining
command in a single test-case.

I think most people with try to debug with "-i", which exits
immediately.

The only place it would help is debugging test failures with GitHub
Actions, where developers could download artifarts for test failures
from GitHub Actions.

-- 
Danh