Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 4/5] Makefile: the "cscope" target always creates a "cscope.out"

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 13:58:08 -0400

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 09:55:31AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> I know we currently care only about cscope.out and it is perfectly
> fine to make the phony cscope depend on cscope.out only, but I'd
> feel safer to keep the exclude patterns and $(RM) clean rule to
> catch them.

I agree. I wondered about whether this patch could just get dropped
entirely, since after removing the changes in .gitignore and the "clean"
rule, the only change left is:

> >  cscope.out: $(FOUND_SOURCE_FILES)
> > -	$(QUIET_GEN)$(RM) cscope* && \
> > -	echo $(FOUND_SOURCE_FILES) | xargs cscope -b
> > +	$(QUIET_GEN)$(RM) cscope.out && \
> > +	echo $(FOUND_SOURCE_FILES) | xargs cscope -f$@ -b

But that alone is a good change in my mind at least. Then it's clear
that that target is responsible for generating cscope.out and nothing
else.

So I'd be in favor of rewording the patch message and only retaining
this hunk (and dropping the other two).

Thanks,
Taylor