Subject: Re: git revert --continue --no-verify

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 18:07:57 -0400

On Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 04:33:09PM -0500, Cameron Steffen wrote:
> Perhaps the issue then is that the pre-commit hook should not run for
> `git revert --continue`? It does not run for `git revert`.

This does look like an oversight to me, but you'll have to bear with me
since I am relatively unfamiliar with the sequencer code.

Ultimately `git revert` calls do_pick_commit() which either calls
do_commit() or run_git_commit(). A couple of curiosities there:

  - do_commit() does fall back to run_git_commit() if it has the
    VERIFY_MSG bit set in `flags`.
  - run_git_commit() passes `-n` only when VERIFY_MSG *isn't* set, so
    the VERIFY_MSG bit does imply that the pre-commit hook would be run
    there.
  - when do_pick_commit() does have to fall back to run_git_commit(), it
    sets the VERIFY_MSG bit in flags.

But we never end up calling run_git_commit() (except in the case of
errors) because do_pick_commit() special-cases `command == TODO_REVERT`
(which is the case for `git revert`) and calls `do_commit()`.

But it gets weirder: do_commit() calls run_git_commit() itself, but
before the caller in do_pick_commit() has had a chance to add VERIFY_MSG
to the flags.

So I suspect that this is an oversight, but perhaps somebody more
familiar with this code could confirm my thinking.

Thanks,
Taylor