Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/7] In grep, no adding submodule ODB as alternates

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 14:29:30 -0700

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 11:28:38AM -0700, Jonathan Tan wrote:
> 
> This patch series removes the need to add submodule ODBs as alternates
> in all codepaths covered by t7814. I believe that that is also all the
> codepaths covered by "git grep", but if it isn't, the uncovered
> codepaths will still work - they will just not benefit from the
> performance improvements.
> 
> In doing this work of migrating away from adding submodule ODBs as
> alternates, I'm mainly motivated by the possibility of adding partial
> clone submodule support, but this has benefits even for those who do not
> use partial clones, as described in the documentation in patch 1.
> 
> To reviewers: you can cherry-pick the last patch onto one of the earlier
> ones to observe what happens when the code still accesses a submodule
> object as if it were in the_repository.

One note - I liked this tip, I think that is a useful thing for
reviewers to see. Thanks.

 - Emily