Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/7] In grep, no adding submodule ODB as alternates

From: Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 15:49:04 -0700

On 2021.08.10 11:28, Jonathan Tan wrote:
> This patch series removes the need to add submodule ODBs as alternates
> in all codepaths covered by t7814. I believe that that is also all the
> codepaths covered by "git grep", but if it isn't, the uncovered
> codepaths will still work - they will just not benefit from the
> performance improvements.
> 
> In doing this work of migrating away from adding submodule ODBs as
> alternates, I'm mainly motivated by the possibility of adding partial
> clone submodule support, but this has benefits even for those who do not
> use partial clones, as described in the documentation in patch 1.
> 
> To reviewers: you can cherry-pick the last patch onto one of the earlier
> ones to observe what happens when the code still accesses a submodule
> object as if it were in the_repository.

Thanks for this series. I am very excited to see steps toward enabling
partial clones for submodules! And having fewer implicit references to
the_repository is great as well.

I don't have any comments that other reviewers haven't already
mentioned, so I'll just add:

Reviewed-by: Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]>