Subject: Re: [PATCH] commit: restore --edit when combined with --fixup

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 23:27:16 +0000

On 2021-08-11 at 22:10:28, Joel Klinghed wrote:
> At my work we use "fixup!" when pushing fixes to a review, using
> the modified body to outline what issue the commit is addressing,
> helping the reviewers to see intent and not just the end result.
> All "fixup!" are then ofc. squashed before integration.
> Same can be achieved with -m but --edit is generally
> easier to work with in my experience.

Yeah, I do exactly the same thing.  I want to write a nice explanation
of the change I made for the reviewer, but I don't want to preserve it
for the future.

I recently had a series that was 33 commits after squashing but with 117
before squashing, thanks to a series of very thorough and thoughtful
reviews, so in this kind of scenario, it can really be kind to the
reviewer to help them match up the change with their comment.

> I've also once or twice used it to avoid a "fixup!" of a "fixup!" instead
> of looking up the original target commit hash but that's just me being
> lazy.
> 
> I'll add a test to check for previous behavior.

Thanks for catching this.
-- 
brian m. carlson (he/him or they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA