Subject: Re: [PATCH v5] clone: set submodule.recurse=true if user enables feature.experimental flag

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 13:38:49 -0700

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 01:30:22PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I think the right move, then, is to explore whether your suggestion in
> > https://lore.kernel.org/git/xmqqeeaxw28z.fsf%40gitster.g is appropriate
> > - I have the sense that it is, but I want to make sure to think it
> > through before I say so for sure. 
> 
> Not that one---it was a 40% tongue-in-cheek comment, and does not
> deserve to be called a suggestion.  

Ah well ;)

Anyway, I think it does not make sense, as behavior starts to change for
people who already cloned expecting not to recurse (Jonathan N says this
is the case for his Rust checkout, for example) - and apparently
'submodule.recurse=true' has some weird edge cases for commands which
are happy to run out-of-repo.

Mahi mentioned wanting to rework her commit to use a config besides
'feature.experimental' for this same behavior, so hopefully we will see
that change come through soon - but today is also the last day of her
internship, so we may not be so lucky.

 - Emily