Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] builtin/add: remove obsoleted support for legacy stash -p

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:33:45 -0400

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 11:44:34PM -0700, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón wrote:
> 90a6bb98d1 (legacy stash -p: respect the add.interactive.usebuiltin
> setting, 2019-12-21) adds a hidden option and its supporting code
> to support the legacy stash script, but that was left behind when
> it was retired.
>
> mostly revert commit.

(Sorry for a much-delayed response, I'm trying to do a little bit of
inbox-cleaning ;)).

If you're re-rolling based on Dscho's suggestions later on in the
series, I'd suggest two changes to make the patch message clearer:

  - Clarify the antecedent of "it" in "it was retired". I find that
    "...but that [option] was forgotten about even when [the legacy
    stash implementation] was retired".

  - Link to the commit where we dropped support for that implementation
    (which was in 8a2cd3f512 (stash: remove the stash.useBuiltin
    setting, 2020-03-03)) to make it clear that that happened after
    90a6bb98d1.

  - Finally "mostly revert commit." should add more detail without being
    verbose. I'd write:

        Since 8a2cd3f512 removed the legacy implementation, the changes
        from 90a6bb98d1 are no longer necessary, so revert them.

> @@ -483,6 +480,7 @@ int cmd_add(int argc, const char **argv, const char *prefix)
>  			  builtin_add_usage, PARSE_OPT_KEEP_ARGV0);
>  	if (patch_interactive)
>  		add_interactive = 1;
> +

Stray whitespace change, but the rest of the patch looks good to me.

Thanks,
Taylor