Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 05/25] midx: clear auxiliary .rev after replacing the MIDX

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:33:18 -0400

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 03:28:47PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Yeah, this is a possible problem.  You can also see it when using git
> > index-pack outside of a repository with an incorrect --object-format
> > option.
> >
> > I'm not sure how folks want to deal with that; I'm just fine saying,
> > "Well, don't do that," but other folks may have different opinions.
>
> OK, so if we go back to the original breakage of the test script
> that triggered this discussion, the right solution would be to make
> sure both test repositories/object stores are prepared with the
> algorithm specified with GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_HASH?

Just to make sure do you still see this as a separate issue from running
the midx builtin outside of a repository?

I.e., if we require the midx builtin to be run in a repository, it
side-steps this issue (but presumably not completely, and so we should
deal with both eventually). I want to make sure that I'm on the same
page before I drop 25+ emails on the list.

Thanks,
Taylor