Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v2 0/4] developer: support pedantic

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 06:10:17 -0400

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 02:19:37AM -0700, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón wrote:

> first patch was suggested[1] by Peff, so hopefully my commit message
> and his assumed SoB are still worth not mixing it with patch 2 (which
> has a slight different but related focus and touches the same files)
> but since it is no longer a single patch, lets go wild.

My SoB is fine there (though really Ævar did the actual thinking; I just
deleted a lot of lines in vim :) ).

Patch 2 looks good to me, though I kind of wonder if it is even worth
having an option to turn it off.

> patches 3 and 4 are optional and mostly for RFC, so that a solution
> to any possible issue that the retiring of USE_PARENS_AROUND_GETTEXT_N
> are addressed.

IMHO the issue it is trying to find is not worth the inevitable problems
that hacky perl parsing of C will cause (both false positives and
negatives). Not a statement on your perl code, but just based on
previous experience.

So I'd probably take the first two patches, and leave the others.

-Peff