Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 05/25] midx: clear auxiliary .rev after replacing the MIDX

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 14:03:12 -0400

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 11:01:26PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> It seems that the *.rev test (probably added by the other topic that
> is a single patch fix) fails under sha256 hash.  I am not going to
> dig it any further myself, but for the interested, CI breakage is
> here:
>
>   https://github.com/git/git/runs/3440068613?check_suite_focus=true#step:5:1219
>
> Thanks.

I saw the same error myself when integrating that patch into my series.
I discussed it more in [1], but the failure is basically caused by the
midx code using the_hash_algo even when operating in a different
repository via --object-dir.

If the_hash_algo doesn't match (as is the case when using `--object-dir`
to point at a SHA-256 repository when invoking the builtin from a
repository using SHA-1 or outside of a repository altogether), then
we'll fail when trying to open the pack indexes.

Thanks,
Taylor

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/