Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 00/27] multi-pack reachability bitmaps

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 05:40:25 -0400

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 01:49:47PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> > As far as I can tell, supporting arbitrary directories with
> > `--object-dir` was a historical accident, since even the documentation
> > says `<alt>` when referring to the value passed to this option.
> 
> The synopsis has [--object-dir=<dir>], which wants to be cleaned up
> for consistency (or <alt> updated to <dir>, but I tend to agree with
> you that unifying to <alt> may make our intention more clear).
> 
> It is unfortunate that "git multi-pack-index -h" says <file>, which
> is probably doubly wrong.  It seems this is the only instance that
> abuses OPT_FILENAME() for a non-file, so perhaps it is not too bad
> to fix it using the lower-level OPTION_FILENAME (instead of adding
> a one-off OPT_DIRECTORY_NAME() helper).

That made me wonder what "git commit-graph -h" says. It says "<dir>"
(even though it already must be an alternate), because it uses
OPT_STRING().

I think using OPTION_FILENAME or similar is better there, too, though,
because it reinterprets the name after the repo-setup chdir() step. But
now you'd have to for an OPT_DIRNAME() helper. :)

> Neither is something that would block this step, of course.

Yeah, very much agreed that this can come later on top.

-Peff