Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 00/22] fsck: lib-ify object-file.c & better fsck "invalid object" error reporting

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 00:08:04 -0400

On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 12:57:55PM +0200, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> This improves fsck error reporting, see the examples in the commit
> messages of 19/22, 21/22 and 22/22. To get there I've lib-ified more
> thigs in object-file.c and the general object APIs, i.e. now we'll
> return error codes instead of calling die() in these cases.
>
> This series has been in "needs review" state for a while. This re-roll
> is mainly to bump it for the list's attention, but while I was at it I
> addressed point from Jonathan Tan raised in a previous round: use an
> enum instead of int for the unpack_loose_header() return value.

I took a thorough look through this series, and left a handful of minor
comments. I didn't spot any glaring issues, and think that this series
is in pretty good shape.

I do admit there were quite a large number of patches to get to the
couple of changes at the end. I left some thoughts throughout for places
that I would have combined things / presented them in a different order
or similar.

I don't think you should spend much time changing the structure now that
it's been looked at with close eyes, but just some idle thoughts for
other large series you might send in the future.

Thanks,
Taylor