Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/5] commit-graph: use parse_options_concat()

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 11:56:16 -0400

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 09:20:38AM +0200, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> If we came up with some call about what we want subcommands in general
> to look like I'd think it would be fine to convert multi-pack-index to
> it, perhaps with some deprecation period where it would issue a
> warning() while it understood both forms.

I'm not sure about what to do with the multi-pack-index command.
Probably going through a deprecation process makes the most sense if we
do want to get rid of the top-level `--[no-]progress` there, too. But
let's have the discussion elsewhere and not buried in the MIDX
bitmaps thread ;).

> This is a good change, but if you're up for bonus points leaves the docs
> in an odd where we (as noted in [1]) document the --object-dir and
> --progress options under OPTIONS, but now only take the former before
> the sub-command.

Thanks for noticing. I got up and did something in between writing and
sending this patch, and had a nagging feeling of forgetting something
before I sent. But I couldn't figure out what ;).

I'll resubmit this patch (with the doc changes squashed in) as a new
thread on the list so we can have the discussion not buried in another
thread.

Thanks,
Taylor