Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix default font scaling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 13:11:22 +0300

On нд, чер 23 2024 at 11:13:53 +02:00:00, Johannes Sixt 
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Am 21.06.24 um 09:18 schrieb Serhii Tereshchenko:
>>  Thanks! I tried booting into Fedora/37 with the same Tk version, 
>> and it
>>  indeed does not have this scaling problem.
>> 
>>  Then, I downgraded packages on Arch to 8.6.12 and 8.6.13 - also no 
>> problem.
>> 
>>  The only version affected is 8.6.14.
>> 
>>  That's probably a bug in Tk (and there's quite a few reported, 
>> mostly
>>  about "tk scaling" https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/info/1de3a48312, we
>>  don't use it explicitly in git-gui but on my system it is set to 
>> 1.3)
> 
> What is the best course of action now? Since this change does not make
> things any different for me on Linux+KDE, I am inclined to pick up 
> this
> patch with a modified commit message and code comment that clearly 
> state
> that this is a work-around for a bug in Tk introduced in 8.6.14. This
> would help users who upgrade from an earlier version of Tk, because it
> does not look like a fix of Tk is in the works (or that the issue is
> regarded as a regression by Tk people at all).
> 
> Suggestions?
> 
> -- Hannes

I tried running default git-gui and this patch on macOS 12 Monterey, 
and that version does not have font scaling, so there's no problem. I 
will ask around and maybe find someone with latest macOS, which has 
font scaling, and see if there's a problem.

Patch does not breaks anything, but produces a warning due to system 
fonts being present in 'font names'.

Then, if turns out this linux-specific problem - i'd limit this fix 
only to linux. If this affects other platforms - i'd filter fonts to 
only include those starting with 'Tk' prefix.