Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Nov 2021, #03; Tue, 9)

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 14:40:00 -0800

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 02:19:20PM -0800, Emily Shaffer wrote:
> 
> Once more, updates to submodule-UX-overhaul related work.
[...]
> 
> Jonathan Tan: WIP v2 Conditional config includes remotes based on remote URL
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/cover.1635527389.git.jonathantanmy%40google.com
> 
> Additional discussion ongoing, Jonathan is working on another reroll,
> with a substantially different implementation but same user-facing
> feature. I think this discussion can benefit from reviews with an open
> mind - this is another effort to solve "how can a team ship configs for
> anybody developing their project, in the least painful (to the user) way
> possible?" In other words, this is a spiritual successor to the
> "remote-suggested hooks" topic, in that we are still trying to solve the
> same problem.

Seems I slipped and missed a few others too.

Glen Choo: make create_branch accept any repository
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

More cleanup of implicit the_repository, this time in create_branch().

Glen Choo: RFC: Branches with --recurse-submodules
https://lore.kernel.org/git/kl6lv912uvjv.fsf%40chooglen-macbookpro.roam.corp.google.com

Some deeper discussion of branching strategy with regard to recursing
into submodules. This would be a really good one to follow and weigh in
on, because it is an unusual case where Git will need to be opinionated
about workflow in order to be useful, so we'd better be sure our opinion
is a good one.

 - Emily