Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/8] grep.c: move "prefix" out of "struct grep_opt"

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 19:18:57 -0500

On Tue, Nov 09, 2021 at 03:10:31AM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> > All of that is to say that I share your motivation for this patch and
> > think that the direction is good, but I would have preferred to do it
> > without the caller_priv variable (unless there is something that I am
> > missing here).
>
> Yes, that would make much more sense. I just had tunnel vision while
> writing this, evidently. Yeah, just either passing it or using a static
> variable in grep.c would make more sense.
>
> Arguably we could even have it be read only (const char *const) and have
> a global "the_prefix" or something, but it's probably not widely used
> enough for that to make sense.

Either of the first two seem fine to me, but introducing `the_prefix`
seems both over-specified, and too big a step for this series alone.

Thanks,
Taylor