Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/8] grep: simplify config parsing, change grep.<rx config> interaction

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 19:16:07 -0500

On Tue, Nov 09, 2021 at 03:01:12AM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> Or someone who'd read the docs, understood that we promised that would
> do nothing, and inserted that just to test us, but that seems unlikely
> :)
>
> Or, I suppose someone who's entirely confused, and will continue being
> even more confused now that behavior changes on a git upgrade from ERE
> to BRE.
>
> I'm hoping the last two paragraphs describe no-one & that this is safe
> to do.

Yeah, I agree that it seems very unlikely that anybody would actually be
affected here, so I'm comfortable with the change.

> >> ---
> >>  Documentation/config/grep.txt |  3 +-
> >>  Documentation/git-grep.txt    |  3 +-
> >
> > Not the fault of your patch, but these two are annoyingly (and subtly)
> > different from one another. Could we clean this up and put everything in
> > Documentation/config/grep.txt (and then include that in the
> > CONFIGURATION section of Documentation/git-grep.txt)?
>
> I've got a large series to do that for all of these, but opted to skip
> that particular digression here (even for just grep.txt it's a bit
> distracting).

I think that you could include a preparatory clean-up in this series to
make the Documentation/config/grep.txt included by
Documentation/git-grep.txt without being too distracting. But if punting
on it now works better for you, I don't think either makes a reviewer's
job substantially different.

Thanks,
Taylor