Subject: Re: git log --since to not stop after first old commit?

From: Miklos Vajna <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 12:14:54 +0200

Hi Ævar,

On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 11:57:33AM +0200, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> wrote:
> So (just making sure I understand this) in this case the --since option
> is behaving as expected in the sense that the information in the commit
> itself matches what it's finding, but what you'd really like for it to
> consider some "adjusted" commit date?
> 
> I.e. to be smart enough to spot that it should include a commit from
> 2021 if all the preceding commits are from 2022, or some other similar
> heuristic?

No heuristics. Just a way to not stop at the first commit that doesn't
match the --since criteria. Here is an example:

Given:

rm -rf .git file
git init
echo a > file
git add file
git commit -m init
echo a >> file
git add file
GIT_COMMITTER_DATE="2021-01-01 0:00" git commit -m second
echo a >> file
git add file
git commit -m third

When I do:

git log --pretty=oneline --since="2022-01-01"

Then current I get:

91a24b6ccba6b1d26c3bd5bcea7ff86e6997b599 (HEAD -> master) third

And I would like to have an opt-in way to instead get:

91a24b6ccba6b1d26c3bd5bcea7ff86e6997b599 (HEAD -> master) third
e259a40784d3d70f3878105adac380c8e8a8ae52 init

Arguing that both "init" and "third" was committed this year.

The question is if there is a way to do this already (perhaps I missed
something in the docs or didn't notice it while I briefly researched the
commit walk code), or in case I want to do this, then would it make
sense to have this feature in git or this is more a "run git rev-list
and do your own filtering" case?

Thanks,

Miklos