Subject: Re: Make commit messages optional

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 22:40:17 -0700

Hi,

Tao Klerks wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 5:18 PM <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> And I still don't get why the --allow-empty-message is not
>> sufficient to meet your use case. git supports what is being
>> requested already, not that it is allowed where I am. Are we
>> talking about setting --allow-empty-message as the default? That is
>> a major behavioural change. You could create a git command alias to
>> always specify this option. So what is the point of this?
>>
>
> My proposal is that it absolutely is enough, functionally - but the
> abundance of "we should change something" concerns in this thread and
> elsewhere suggest, to me, that it might not be sufficiently
> discoverable; hence the "advice" proposal.

Thanks for this point.  I find it to be a very reasonable one.  I'd be
happy to review a patch adding an advice item when people use options
like '-m ""'.

Sincerely,
Jonathan