Subject: Re: Git bug report - disk errors on Windows after push

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:28:19 +0000

[Please avoid top-posting on this list.]

On 2022-04-19 at 03:52:23, Attila Csosz wrote:
> I've experienced the problem at least 3 different external disk.
> I'm not using cloud syncing service (e.g., Dropbox or OneDrive) for git.

I don't doubt that's the case.  However, it's not possible for Git to
corrupt a disk just by writing to it.  Git, as a normal unprivileged
program, can only open files and perform normal read and write
operations on them.  Management of the file system, including integrity,
is the responsibility of the operating system.  If running Git on
Windows causes files outside of the repository to be corrupted, that's
either a hardware problem or a bug in Windows.

If you're seeing this problem, it could be that you have a series of bad
disks (say, if you bought a set of cheap flash drives), that the drive
isn't being removed properly, that you have some sort of broken driver
or malware, that there's some other hardware problem (e.g., a bad dock,
USB device, CPU, or memory), or just that there's a previously unknown
bug in Windows.

None of this is Git's fault, and it's really up to you to figure out
which of these it is.  You might try isolating it by using a different
computer to write to the repository first, to see if something about
your current machine is the problem, and then try isolating other
causes.
-- 
brian m. carlson (he/him or they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA