Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/9] Incremental po/git.pot update and new l10n workflow

From: Daniel Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 23:00:10 +0100

On Thu, May 05, 2022 at 08:20:13AM +0800, Jiang Xin wrote:
> 
> A new git clone of git.git is about 150MB in size, while the "po/"
> history occupies 28MB. By removing the location line numbers,
> the size can be reduced from 28MB to 6MB.
> 
> See: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

That is an improvement of size only for few people. On GNU/Linux
install of git by most users is done through packages, and most git
users of other OS, also will not receive this improvement.

Have you considered how the removal of these lines from the po files
will affect the quality of the translation work?

For new translator, not having these lines might make them less prone
to understand po files usage in C?
And probably make them contribute less to i18n C code?

Has these implementation upgrade better benefits than counter effects?

It is worth discussing this.

Also, I don't believe Github issue is the proper way to discuss about
this in the beginning. It cannot be expected to make everyone on board
with this modification of workflowm being discussed on a web service
website obscure issue, that needs login. We have a mailing list that
is to be used for this purpose.

I feel less part of this community, with important issues happening on
Github issues.