Subject: Re: About GIT Internals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 23:34:18 +0000

Hi Aman, responses inline below.

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 09:40:42PM +0530, Aman wrote:
> Could someone please assist - in sharing some resources - which I
> could go through, to better understand GIT software internals.

There is an excellent free book at https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2 .

Chapter 10 is about git internals. It is important to realize that,
unlike many other version control systems, git works effectively on
files locally on your computer, without any server or other shared
resources to manage. Also, one good way to learn may be to form a
question that you want to answer first. "How do I ...." or "what happens
when I ....". Since git works locally, it is possible to create a git
repo, look at the files contained in the .git directory, take action
with git, and then look at the files again.

Many people use git from the command line. If you are not familiar with
the command line, you may be interesting in learning more about it.
Mozilla, the makers of the Firefox web browser, have a wiki page to
familiarize yourself with the command line here: 
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Tools_and_testing/Understanding_client-side_tools/Command_line

Happy Explorations!
Eldon