Subject: Re: Let's have a user experience workshop

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 09:17:53 -0700

(bcc-ing workshop attendees again)
Hi,

Emily Shaffer wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 8:35 PM Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> 1. Continuing the conversation
>>
>> I and some others (e.g. David, cc-ed) ended the workshop wanting to
>> discuss a little more --- when deciding (1) what to work on and (2)
>> settling on a design for that work, what has worked well for us in the
>> past?  What didn't work?  What research methods have we tried?  What
>> would we like to try?  We mentioned wanting to continue that
>> discussion on-list, so trying that now. :)
[...]
> For all 4 of the above - I wonder whether it really makes sense to try
> and organize those things asynchronously. If I'm being honest, what
> I'd much prefer would be a monthly-or-so working group meeting with
> other folks interested in performing research, making recommendations,
> learning how to improve Git's UX, etc. I'd absolutely make time to
> attend such a thing, and I believe it would be the easiest way to
> organize research and concert our efforts. Would other folks be
> interested in showing up, too?

Interesting!  I'd also enjoy a meet-up, but e.g. for "3. Testing ideas
with users" I would find it worrisome if getting user input would
require reviews on a given patch stalling out until the next monthly
meeting.  (Reviews are already slower than they should be as it is!)
I don't know that that's what you meant to suggest; I'm just aiming to
understand what you mean about the "all 4" above.

> I'd envision it as something between a working group and a book club -
> we could learn different aspects of UX design and research, and apply
> them in various ways. It might be nice to have Alice along for at
> least the first couple of sessions to answer questions and help us
> learn in a bit more targeted direction than we got at the workshop.

Sounds nice to me.  If others turn out to be also interested, then
what would be the next step for making that happen?

Thanks,
Jonathan