Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] rebase: update branches in multi-part topic

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 16:03:23 -0400

On Fri, Jun 03, 2022 at 03:59:00PM -0400, Jeff Hostetler wrote:
> Should this take a branch pattern/regex to limit the set of branches
> that are updated (or offered to be updated)?  For example, if I have
> an intermediate commit in the series that has 2 branch names pointing
> at it, do we want to offer to update both of them or only the one
> that matches some pattern related to the tip?  Or is it sufficient to
> just enumerate them at the bottom of the todo list and let the user
> delete the lines they don't want?

That could be a useful feature to layer on top. I don't think it's
required here, though, since (as you note) users can remove lines from
the update-ref invocation(s) at the bottom that they don't want to
perform.

> Should we actually do the update-ref's or should we write a script
> that lets the user do it later?  The latter would let us also write
> out the commands to force update the remote refs if that would be
> helpful.

That seems like it would be outside the bounds of what `rebase` should
provide, but others may feel differently.

Thanks,
Taylor