Subject: Re: [PATCH] config.c: NULL check when reading protected config

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 13:43:51 -0400

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 10:40:18AM -0700, Glen Choo wrote:
> > I wonder: should it become a BUG() to call git_configset_add_file() with
> > a NULL filename? That would have elevated the test failure outside of
> > just the ASAn builds, I'd think.
> >
> > There's certainty a risk of being too defensive, but elevating this
> > error beyond just the ASan builds indicates that this would be an
> > appropriate layer of defense IMHO.
>
> Hm, if we're going in this direction, what if we made it a BUG() to call
> fopen_or_warn() with a NULL filename? Then we wouldn't have to
> reimplement this BUG() check in all of its callers.

That may be too low-level of a place to put this check, but I don't have
a strong opinion about it either way (including whether we should have
such a BUG() *anywhere* in this series, including
git_configset_add_file()).

Thanks,
Taylor