Subject: Re: git maintenance broken on FreeBSD

From: Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 22:37:54 +0700

On 2022-08-12 22:02:08-0700, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Todd Zullinger <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > If a change like this is made, aren't we trading one group
> > of broken users for another?  It would fix users of newer
> > systems at the expense of those on older systems, I would
> > suspect.
> 
> So, it is fairly clear that "crontab" wants a real file.  Somebody's
> POSIX compliant "crontab" can be fed "-", attempt to read from a
> file with such a name, and legitimately fail.  And on such a system,
> the proposed patch causes a regression.

Then, we are getting back to point #0, we don't have universally way
to specify stdin as input file for crontab(1) and "crontab -e" is
optional.

Perhaps, FreeBSD needs to carry this patch downstream; or
we will invent new preprocessor, let's say CRONTAB_DASH_IS_STDIN
which is defined in FreeBSD, and another config, let's say
crontab.dashIsStdin (in order to allow users swap their default
cron) which is default to 1 if CRONTAB_DASH_IS_STDIN is defined,
and 0 otherwise.  So, everyone will be happy.  Thought?

-- 
Danh