Subject: Re: Scriptable mode for git bisect

From: Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 07:59:27 +0700

On 2022-09-25 01:46:13+0200, Claus Fischer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Well since I usually don’t have many revisions backwards, typically
> no more than 50, I can just traverse the tree backwards from main.
> I remember the last ‘bad’ revision before the good one.
> So there’s a solution for me.
> 
> Yes the bisect command puts the correct ‘first bad’ revision in its
> output but it’s surrounded by a large amount of useless text. It
> would be nice to have a ‘quiet’ flag that lets it output just the
> bad revision. Alternatively, that it ends by checking out just that
> bad revision before revert.
> 
> My problem is solved by stepping backwards to HEAD~1 each time, but
> you might consider making bisect more scriptable.

No, you don't need to parse "git bisect" output to get the "first bad"
revision. The "first bad" revision is stored in refs/bisect/bad.

And you can take the "first bad" revision in a scriptable way with:

	FIRST_BAD=$(git rev-parse --verify refs/bisect/bad)

Of course, after finishing bisecting.

-- 
Danh