Subject: Re: Install-prefix when building should not be hardcoded

From: Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 14:57:29 +0700

On 2022-10-04 09:38:24+0200, darkdragon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Even though in Makefile, it is stated that git will figure out
> gitexecdir at runtime based on the path to the executable, there are
> many output files where $(prefix) will be hardcoded. Even git
> --exec-path will print out $(compile_prefix)/libexec/git-core instead
> of using run_prefix.

I'm not sure about this part.

> Example: We are building git in Docker at a separate stage to /deploy
> (since /usr/local is populated with our compiler toolchain). The final
> image is assembled by copying the contents of /deploy to /usr/local.
> Commands like "git submodule" will fail because of the wrong git exec
> path. Searching via "grep -r /deploy" in /deploy after make install
> yields many results.

But you may be interested in $(DESTDIR)

	make prefix=/usr/local all
	make prefix=/usr/local DESTDIR=/deploy install

Does that work for you?

-- 
Danh