Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 06/20] t: introduce PERL_TEST_HELPERS prerequisite

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2025 07:05:10 +0200

On Wed, Apr 02, 2025 at 09:10:16PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2025, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 01, 2025 at 08:26:36PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> > On the other hand, maybe the better fix would be to just convert tools
> > to not use Perl at all anymore so that we can eventually get rid of this
> > dependency altogether. It feels like we're quite close, and many of
> > these conversions are low-hanging fruit.
> 
> As for `git filter-branch`, we could simply -- what were the wise words of
> Elijah's mentor? -- "debug" it. I.e. delete it and be happy about it.

I wouldn't mind it, but we should probably have a proper replacement for
it first. Ideally in the form of git-filter-repo(1) being part of Git
itself.

In any case, meanwhile I have created a follow-up patch series that
adapts both git-filter-branch(1) and git-request-pull(1) to not require
Perl anymore.

Patrick