Subject: Re: meson: Installing completions

From: Akshay Hegde <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2025 10:43:18 -0700

On 2025-04-01 11:58 +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
>> I just wanted to double check if I'm supposed to install them manually,
>> or if I missed enabling some options (I looked through the top-level
>> meson_options.txt and meson.build files and I don't think I did.)
>
>For now the status quo is that you have to install them manually, which
>indeed isn't optimal. It matches our Makefile, which never installed
>those completions, either. But that by itself isn't a good enough
>argument from my perspective that it needs to be the same with Meson.

Yup that seems entirely reasonable to me, and this was my initial
thought. I don't have much of an issue installing them manually.

>
>The biggest question though is whether distros are aligned enough for us
>to provide standard installation paths. That is, do all distros end up
>installing bash completion into "/usr/share/bash-completion"? What are
>the desired directories for tcsh and zsh completion?
>
>If there is enough standardization then yes, I totally think we should
>start installing completion scripts automatically.

Well I can't speak from any sort of authoritativeness here, but for zsh,
they are usually installed underneath the datadir (usually /usr/share),
then under zsh/site-functions. Of course, I don't know if that's true
for all distros.

Could we extend meson_options to allow specification of bash/tcsh/zsh
completion directories? If they are not empty, I think it would be
reasonable to have meson install it automatically.

Either way, I personally don't think it's too big a deal but would be
a good 'quality-of-life' improvement.

Cheers,
-- 
	Akshay