Subject: Re: branch description as a note?

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2024 11:48:35 +0100

On Wed, Dec 11, 2024 at 11:07:55PM +0100, Kristoffer Haugsbakk wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 11, 2024, at 21:13, Kristoffer Haugsbakk wrote:
>> See also this project idea https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/issues/438
>>
>> Which also links to a 2019 thread.
>>
>> With +CC on the participants. I hope that’s okay.
>
>Reiterating what I wrote there
>
>https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/issues/438#issuecomment-2381017430
>
>I would store all ref metadata in one ref.  Either divide it
>up into files or have one structured file.  I’ve seen this idea
>floating around.  I haven’t seen any purpose-built tools for it yet.
>
https://wiki.qt.io/Git-gpush-scripts does exactly that, but putting a
state file into a special ref.

this script suite can be used to address bence's use case of migrating
wip state between machines, by having a git remote for the "magic" ref
space.

it's not perfect for a patch-based workflow, as i bolted it on as an
afterthought. and it could also use a github-centered mode. patches
welcome.