Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.48.0-rc0

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2024 08:08:10 +0100

On Thu, Dec 19, 2024 at 03:46:20PM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
> On December 18, 2024 11:07 AM, I wrote:
> >All tests, actually.
> >
> >$ GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_REF_FORMAT=reftable GIT_TEST_CLONE_2GB=true sh t0000-
> >basic.sh --verbose -i -x
> >error: reftable: transaction prepare: out of memory
> >error: cannot run git init
> 
> Any updates or hypothesis on this? Our test system has loads of memory
> - I cannot figure out where the allocation failure takes place. There
> is a limit to how much memory can be allocated, but it is very high
> and our virtual memory is extensive, but this is a 32-bit build.

My hypothesis is that this is caused by ps/reftable-alloc-failures, but
I am unable to tell where exactly the error comes from. So I'm dependent
on your input.

Could you please bisect the error? Finding out where the error is raised
would also be quite helpful. It has to be one of the reftable functions
that returns REFTABLE_OUT_OF_MEMORY_ERROR, but other than that I do not
have any more gut feeling right now.

Patrick