Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 5/5] remote: announce removal of "branches/" and "remotes/"

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2025 07:36:14 +0100

On Tue, Jan 07, 2025 at 11:55:16AM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
> On January 7, 2025 11:50 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> >Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
> >
> >> Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
> >>
> >>> Makes sense indeed. We can easily add for something like below diff.
> >>> I'll roll that into the next version, thanks!
> >>
> >> It is a good start, but is probably a bit too noisy.  Can we make them
> >> appear ONLY when the definitions read from these older sources are
> >> actually USED?
> >>
> >> Thanks.

Fair enough, can do.

> I like this but wonder whether there might be some way to inhibit the
> warnings one a user gets it and decides they will act but do not want
> to see the warnings any longer? I have had requests like this on other
> products. Just a thought.

I guess the best idea I have here is to use an environment variable,
e.g. "GIT_ALLOW_DEPRECATED_REMOTES=true", along with a hint for how to
enable it.

Patrick