Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Check for Perl 5.26.0 from Meson build

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2025 07:44:24 +0100

On Mon, Jan 20, 2025 at 04:03:00PM +0000, Peter Oliver wrote:
> Commit 702d8c1 (which landed not long before Meson was added) dropped
> support for Perl versions back to 5.8.1.

Makes sense. This commit was another thing that landed in parallel to
the Meson effort, so it's not surprising that Meson still requires the
old version.

A couple remarks for the commit message:

  - The subject should typically start with the subsystem you're
    touching, followed by a short description of what you're doing to
    it.

  - We aim to make the commit message work standalone, wihtout reading
    the commit subject. So saying something along the lines that the
    minimum required version in MEson hasn't been bumped accordingly
    would make sense.

  - We use `git log -1 --format=reference` when mentioning commits.

So, my suggestion:

    meson: bump minimum required Perl version to 5.26.0

    Commit 702d8c1f3b (Require Perl 5.26.0, 2024-10-23) dropped support
    for Perl versions older than 5.28.0. The Meson build system, which
    has been developed in parallel to that commit, hasn't been bumped
    accordingly and thus still requires Perl 5.8.1 or newer.

    Fix this and require Perl 5.28.0 or newer in Meson, as well.

Patrick