Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/8] compat/zlib: allow use of zlib-ng as backend

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2025 10:50:14 -0500

On Fri, Jan 10, 2025 at 01:55:27PM +0100, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> This patch series refactors how we wire up zlib in our project by
> introducing a new "compat/zlib.h" header function. This header is then
> later extended to patch over the differences between zlib and zlib-ng,
> which is mostly just that zlib-ng has a `zng_` prefix for each of its
> symbols. Like this, we can support both libraries directly, and a new
> Meson build options allows users to pick whichever backend they like.

I'm very excited about the possibility of supporting zlib-ng. You
mention that there are new Meson build options here, but I don't see any
changes to the Makefile.

Can we build Git against zlib-ng out of the box with the Makefile? If
so, that is great, and we should document how to build it with zlib
versus zlib-ng when using the Makefile. If not, I am somewhat
uncomfortable about exposing new build options and the features that
they enable behind the new build system.

I think that we should continue to evolve the two more or less in
lockstep if/until we are ready to deprecate the Makefile.

Thanks,
Taylor