Subject: Re: [PATCH] docs: indicate http.sslCertType and sslKeyType

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2025 00:34:07 +0000

On 2025-01-23 at 00:16:06, Andrew Carter via GitGitGadget wrote:
> diff --git a/Documentation/config/http.txt b/Documentation/config/http.txt
> index a14371b5c96..cd39e182527 100644
> --- a/Documentation/config/http.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/config/http.txt
> @@ -216,6 +216,18 @@ http.sslBackend::
>  	This option is ignored if cURL lacks support for choosing the SSL
>  	backend at runtime.
>  
> +http.sslCertType::
> +	Type of client certificate used when fetching or pushing over HTTPS.
> +	(e.g. "PEM", "DER", or "P12"). See also libcurl `CURLOPT_SSLCERTTYPE`
> +	Can be overridden by the `GIT_SSL_CERT_TYPE` environment variable.
> +
> +http.sslKeyType::
> +	Type of client private key used when fetching or pushing over HTTPS.
> +	(e.g. "PEM", "DER", or "ENG"). Particularly useful when set to "ENG"
> +	for authenticating with PKCS#11 tokens. See also libcurl
> +	`CURLOPT_SSLCERTTYPE` . Can be overridden by the `GIT_SSL_KEY_TYPE`
> +	environment variable.

Are there any particular limitations on these values that are platform-
or backend-specific that we should document?  For instance, I seem to
recall that at some point PKCS#12 files were limited to schannel or
Windows, although I could be mistaken.

Do we also have documentation for whatever engine parameter is required
according to the libcurl documentation?
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them or he/him)
Toronto, Ontario, CA