Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 2/7] clone: make it possible to specify --tags

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2025 09:03:21 +0100

On Tue, Feb 04, 2025 at 10:34:01PM +0100, Toon Claes wrote:
> diff --git a/Documentation/git-clone.txt b/Documentation/git-clone.txt
> index de8d8f58930ecff305f79480b13ddce10cd96c60..e89ae2e8c664f4d4e15e5f05264c8df988295e3d 100644
> --- a/Documentation/git-clone.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/git-clone.txt
> @@ -273,12 +273,13 @@ corresponding `--mirror` and `--no-tags` options instead.
>  	branch when `--single-branch` clone was made, no remote-tracking
>  	branch is created.
>  
> -`--no-tags`::
> -	Don't clone any tags, and set
> +`--[no-]tags`::
> +	With `--no-tags`, no tags are cloned, and set
>  	`remote.<remote>.tagOpt=--no-tags` in the config, ensuring

This reads a bit awkward now. How about:

    Control whether or not tags will be cloned. When `--no-tags` is
    given, the option will be become permanent by setting the
    `remote.<remote>.tagOpt=--no-tags` configuration. This ensures that
    future `git pull` and `git fetch` won't follow any tags. Subsequent
    explicit tag fetches will still work (see linkgit:git-fetch[1]).

    By default, tags are cloned and passing `--tags` is thus typically a
    no-op, unless it cancels out a previous `--no-tags`.

>  	that future `git pull` and `git fetch` operations won't follow
>  	any tags. Subsequent explicit tag fetches will still work,
>  	(see linkgit:git-fetch[1]).
> +	By default tags are cloned, and passing `--tags` doesn't change that.

I think it would make sense to have an empty line before this addition.

Patrick