Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/16] path: remove dependency on `the_repository`

From: shejialuo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2025 00:14:14 +0800

On Thu, Feb 06, 2025 at 08:57:56AM +0100, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> this patch series removes the dependency on `the_repository` from the
> "path" subsystem. The series is structured as follows:
> 
>   - Patches 1 to 5 unifyf the interfaces that can be used to retrieve
>     repository paths (gitdir, commondir, workdir and submodule paths)
>     and adapts callers accodringly.
> 
>   - Patches 6 to 12 drop repository path functions that had an implicit
>     dependency on `the_repository`.
> 
>   - Patches 13 to 16 refactor "path.c"-internal code to stop depending
>     on `the_repository`.
> 

Thanks for working on this. However, I feel a little hard when reviewing
the code for patch 13 to patch 16. They are not so relevant to the
previous twelfth patches.

One thing I want to recommend is that we may combine the first and the
second step. It is a little wired that we first refactor the code then
we use the new one. When reading the code, I have to step back to the
previous patch to understand something.

Thanks,
Jialuo