Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 09/13] meson: improve handling of `sane_tool_path` option

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2025 15:29:13 +0100

On Fri, Feb 07, 2025 at 02:49:12PM +0100, Toon Claes wrote:
> Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The `sane_tool_path` option can be used to override the PATH variable
> > from which the build process, tests and ultimately Git will end up
> > picking programs from. It is currently lacking though because we only
> > use it to populate the PATH environment variable for executed scripts
> > and for the `BROKEN_PATH_FIX` mechanism, but we don't use it to find
> > programs used in the build process itself.
> >
> > Fix this issue by treating it similar to the Windows-specific paths,
> > which will make us use it both to find programs and to populate the PATH
> > environment variable.
> >
> > To help with this fix, change the type of the option to be an array of
> > paths, which makes the handling a bit easier for us. It's also the
> > correct thing to do as the input indeed is a list of paths.
> 
> Should we consider this a breaking change, or aren't we because using
> Meson is still not the "official" installation method? I've noticed it
> breaks my "build" directory which was set up before this change and now
> am trying to use these changes on:

Meson is still marked as experimental right now, so I don't think this
needs to be explicitly called out. We should start to be more mindful of
any backwards-incompatible changes once Meson support has matured a bit,
say for example starting with Git v2.49 or v2.50. But until then it's
kind of expected that we'll still have to iterate a bit.

Patrick