Subject: Re: [PATCH] ci/github: add missing 'CI_JOB_IMAGE' env variable

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2025 08:10:10 +0100

On Wed, Mar 19, 2025 at 05:33:28PM +0100, Karthik Nayak wrote:
> The CI setups of GitLab and GitHub use a common dependency management
> script 'ci/install-dependencies.sh'. The script install the necessary
> packages based on a combination of the "$distro" and "$jobname" env
> variables.
> 
> The "$distro" variable is derived from the "CI_JOB_IMAGE" env variable
> set by the CI configs. In the GitHub CI config, some of the jobs are
> missing this variable. For the 'Documentation' job which depends on
> 'meson' being installed, this raises an error since the 'meson'
> dependency is never installed.
> 
> Fix this by adding the 'CI_JOB_IMAGE' variable to all missing jobs. We
> don't add it the windows jobs, since they manager their dependency as
> part of the CI config and no further dependency management is needed.

Makes sense. We didn't install Meson beforehand because we accidentally
didn't install any of the base dependencies. This is fixed by setting
the expected environment variable, and that already pulls in Meson for
us.

I think this fix is preferable over Junio's fix that manually installs
Meson as it fixes the root cause and because it's more robust going
forward in case we ever happen to pull in any additional dependencies.

Thanks!

Patrick