Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] git-compat-util: use gettimeofday for current time

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 16:36:42 -0400

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 12:40:07PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > It might be simpler to use the gettimeofday workaround on all
> > platforms, rather than having an OVERRIDE_TIME flag and complicating
> > config.mak.uname. gettimeofday should be portable, as it's already
> > used elsewhere in Git without configury.
>
> That is an excellent point.

I'd be happy to assume OVERRIDE_TIME is set everywhere and just drop it
entirely (using gettimeofday() unconditionally within git_time()).

An alternative approach might be to leave OVERRIDE_TIME time in place,
but treat it as opt-out instead of opt-in. I can imagine that some
exotic platform might want to use time() instead of gettimeofday() for
one reason or another.

Thanks,
Taylor