Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 6/6] fetch: centralize printing of reference updates

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 10:04:08 +0100

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 03:57:02PM -0700, Jonathan Tan wrote:
> Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
> > In order to print updated references during a fetch, the two different
> > call sites that do this will first call `format_display()` followed by a
> > call to `fputs()`. This is needlessly roundabout now that we have the
> > `display_state` structure that encapsulates all of the printing logic
> > for references.
> > 
> > Move displaying the reference updates into `format_display()` and rename
> > it to `display_ref_update()` to better match its new purpose, which
> > finalizes the conversion to make both the formatting and printing logic
> > of reference updates self-contained. This will make it easier to add new
> > output formats and printing to a different file descriptor than stderr.
> 
> Thanks. Patches 1-5 look good to me. As for this patch, I'm still not
> convinced (I thought that the new mode would still print to stderr),

The reason why I decided against printing to stderr is that it's already
used by other things. The progress meter is one of these, runtime errors
are another one. I also think it's weird to have a parseable format that
should be parsed via stderr.

Anyway, let's discuss this once I'm posting the second patch series to
the mailing list.

> but
> if other reviewers are OK with it then that's fine. Alternatively, patch
> 6 could go with the next set of patches that implement the new mode of
> printing ref updates.

I'd be fine either way. Thanks for your review!

Patrick