Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/8] rebase: preserve interactive todo file on checkout failure

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 23:38:30 +0100

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 07:31:04PM +0000, Phillip Wood wrote:
>On 23/03/2023 16:22, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>> Creating a suitable todo file is a potentially labor-intensive process,
>> so be less cavalier about discarding it when something goes wrong (e.g.,
>> the user messed with the repo while editing the todo).
>
>I was thinking about this problem the other day in the context of 
>rescheduling commands when they cannot be executed because they would 
>overwrite an untracked file. My thought was that we should prepend a 
>"reset" command to the todo list so that the checkout happened when the 
>user continued the rebase.
>
so you basically want to convert the magic `onto` into an explicit todo 
command? i'm not sure what the advantage would be, and i certainly can 
think of disadvantages re. usability and backwards compat.

>How does this patch ensure the checkout happens when the user continues 
>the rebase?
>
the idea was never that the user --continue's. we're talking about a 
fatal error, and the patch's purpose is only to allow the user to 
salvage their work manually.
it's an interesting question, though, esp. in light of patch 8/8 of this 
series.