Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] test: make the test suite work with zsh

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 20:00:51 -0400

On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 03:15:48AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > In truth all the patches regarding shell portability have been along
> > the lines of: "this code makes $x shell work, doesn't break other
> > shells, and isn't against POSIX". In some cases even when the Austin
> > group disagreed on what POSIX actually said, we did whatever worked in
> > most shells.
>
> One aspect that is missing in the above is the extra burden on our
> developers.

Well said.

Having to remember that we need to write "$ARGZERO" instead of "$0" is
yet another burden to place on developers who want to make changes to
the test suite.

Is that a big deal? Probably not. But it's a slippery slope, and a weird
gotcha to remember when dealing with our otherwise POSIX-y test suite.

So I'm not convinced that it's a worthwhile price to pay for zsh support
in our test suite.

Thanks,
Taylor