Subject: Re: tb/ban-strtok

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:31:21 -0400

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 09:58:20AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> >>  Mark strtok() and strtok_r() to be banned.
> >>
> >>  source: <[email-masked]>
> >
> > This one needs a reroll to remove `strtok_r()` from the proposed banned
> > list, and to support slightly different semantics the new
> > string_list_split_in_place_multi() function. Will send today.
>
> I actually do not think we would seriously miss strtok_r(); as long
> as the rationale for doing so is clearly described, I think we are
> OK.  Just do not sell string-list as if it were the solution to
> everything (which is not---it is a rather poor data structure), but
> compare string_list_split() with strtok_r() and say our application
> hasn't needed the flexibility of the latter.

I agree that we wouldn't miss it at all, since we have no uses of
strtok_r() today.

But let's decide on banning it separately, since the much more
immediate-term issues are the existing uses of strtok() that are in the
tree.

Thanks,
Taylor